RCU Forums - View Single Post - BJCraft BISIDE
View Single Post
Old 05-07-2013, 05:03 AM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: BJCraft BISIDE

Hey Guys,
I was able to swing over to see B.J. Park and his father in Zhuhai China this weekend. Luckily, the weather finally cooperated for me so that I could visit and go flying. I tried several times over the past year but Typhoons and strong rains always seemed to get in the way.

Sunday I made the Trek and B.J. And his father met me at the ferry terminal. We went directly to his new factory. Since it was Sunday there was no production going on. But his new shop is much larger. He has a really nice heat curing room for his molded fuselages and also for his clear coated painted items.

He showed me the new Biside molds and also some secret projects that I can't talk about yet. Sorry...

B.J. is really spending a lot of time and energy on the biplane. He is convinced that bipes are the future. And, so are many of the top Japanese fliers and designers. But, there are a lot of design challenges with bipes. Primary amongst these is roll stability. This is why many bipes don't do well in the wind and why many feel like Kites in certain conditions.

B.J. Has been flying the Biside protoype and has been making step by step changes to the design and setup. It is very tedious work. I had the chance to check out his current status on the Biside. His prototype is a testbed for his design improvements. He has made many changes to the original prototype in order to refine the final product.

We were able to head out to his flying site and put in some flights on the latest Biside prototype. If you look at the pics you will see a few changes to the original design. Most of these changes are only to make the prototype fly the way he wants the final production version to fly. He is going to incorporate several changes. Namely, the wing will shrink, wing shape will change, tail volume will change, fuselage volume will change, and a few other fuselage changes will be incorporated. All in all, the production version will be different than the current prototype.

I am attaching some pics from our flying session. We were joined by his talented flying buddy PaPa. This kid is a great flier and very talented 3D pilot as well.

You can see the current form of the Biside. Notice the wing tips on the upper wing. Those were only added to help simulate the updated wing design. They will be gone in production.

The wing planform for production will be drastically different. In a nutshell, the wing area will be reduced. This design had too much lift. So he had to compromise on several aspects in order to get it to perform properly.

But, enough of that. We stuffed the plane into the back of his van (with half of it hanging out) and drove down the street of the industrial park to go fly it. My basic impression was that this thing is huge! Some of that will change when he updates it for production but the biplane really looks different when sitting in the ground.

His prototype used a Neu F3A-1 motor and (I think) a 21x14 prop. I thought to myself that this would be an underpowered dog. No way would that motor and prop give enough performance. I was used to the Pletty Advance powered Episode with epic power and was thinking that this huge biplane would not have the power needed.

So, he got the plane all set up and PaPa (who is the only guy in China that flies Mode II) took off then handed me the TX. I was instantly shocked by how fast and slippery this was. I thought to myself "no way is this a 10 cell Neu powered airplane". It was simply ballistic. I proceeded to flail around and looked like a person who had never flown a precision aircraft. B.J. tried to tell me that it takes less power than I thought and that the flying stabilizer was extremely effective. He was right on all of those accounts. But still, I couldn't fathom how powerful and quick this thing was.

On the next flight we moved the CG forward and tried again. This time I was more prepared for the flight envelope. I dialed back the power significantly and actually started to fly it like a pattern plane. I think I flew it at about 1/3 throttle for almost all maneuvers. The Neu motor throttle response on this airframe was like a Turbo. All of a sudden it would go ballistic. I was shaking my head because I had never flown anything that behaved that way. My Neu powered Nuance was tame in comparison. I can't even imagine what a Pletty Advance would do on that airframe. B.J. and I talked abou this. It seems that a lower power profile and smaller prop combination would be better for this airframe. Even, perhaps, an 8S setup would be more than sufficient. Or, a Himax outrunner would be plenty of power. I still couldn't comprehend how this was possible for such a large airframe.

A few flights later I started to feel comfortable. The snaps were awesome and the spins were as good as the Episode. I caught a glimpse of what B.J. was describing to me as the potential of the bipe.

We ran out of battery packs (some of which had... Get this... 1000 flights! He knows batteries since he was a pioneer with Korean cell manufacturers) and then we went to lunch.

After lunch we figured we had enough time to go flying again so he threw his IMAC Extra 260 in the back of the van and we flew that. PaPa did some cool 3D flying over the water. I got to throw it around a bit then we noticed that time had escaped us and we had to race to the ferry terminal. I got there with just a few minutes to spare.

My day was complete. I saw some cool stuff and visited my good friends. I tested the future and I think it has two wings....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn35917.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	1879914   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19794.jpg
Views:	648
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	1879915   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jo30873.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	133.5 KB