RCU Forums - View Single Post - 40/45 size Classics
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM
tgwhitley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40/45 size Classics

The thread on keeping classic designs alive has interesting post by Doxilla on remaking 40/45 size classic pattern models. I believe we should discuss this further and see how much interest is available for 40 size models. I will add David's post below.

Tim

Given that Don and others have the 60 size classics covered, I have been working a bit on filling the void in the 40 size space. The Minare (Curare 40) could be done but I believe there are several Curare options out there today and another one is not particularly deserving. Maybe I'm wrong. On the other hand I have a pretty nice drawn up version of a 25-32 size Tiporare and it would be doable to convert that to a 46 size version for the production of a few kits. In fact, Phil and I have been working on the 40 size design (which he'll build) but given my 25-32 size drawing I'm more inclined to want to fill the 46-55 size engine space.

As for other designs I have pretty advanced drawings for both the Arrow 40 (MK) and the Citation 45 (Yoshioka) both designed for RE powerful 45-46's (i.e., OS VF's, YS FR's and Rossi R45's - this last albeit quite rare nowadays). The same goes for the Blue Angel 40 and the Thunder Bird 40 (both MK). Last but not least I have been thinking about the Yoshioka Dash-5 45 and finally 40 size versions of the Bootlegger, Brushfire, Calypso and Cutlass. The last of which is really a 50 size design as it stands and would likely do very well on anything between a strong 45 and a 55 provided it is re-designed to frame up lightly which I've mostly done. As for the Calypso, well, it is a design that was never kitted as framed up

If there is interest in some laser cut kits of any of the designs mentioned, a thread could be started to discuss them. As I plan to cut one or two of these (probably not all) for myself at some point, I'd be happy to share that effort with anyone else interested as was done with the Dirty Birdy 40.

We can start a thread to open the discussion and decide which one to do first. I'm happy to collaborate with anyone interested along the lines of what Doug and I (and Kevin) did with the Super Chipmunk 120 (thread on RCG). With the Dirty Birdy 40 I was also spurred into action and helped by a nice set of
CADrib drawings provided to me by Jim.

David