Community
Search
Notices
Classic RC Pattern Flying Discuss here all pre 1996 RC Pattern Flying in this forum.

40/45 size Classics

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM
tgwhitley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 40/45 size Classics

The thread on keeping classic designs alive has interesting post by Doxilla on remaking 40/45 size classic pattern models. I believe we should discuss this further and see how much interest is available for 40 size models. I will add David's post below.

Tim

Given that Don and others have the 60 size classics covered, I have been working a bit on filling the void in the 40 size space. The Minare (Curare 40) could be done but I believe there are several Curare options out there today and another one is not particularly deserving. Maybe I'm wrong. On the other hand I have a pretty nice drawn up version of a 25-32 size Tiporare and it would be doable to convert that to a 46 size version for the production of a few kits. In fact, Phil and I have been working on the 40 size design (which he'll build) but given my 25-32 size drawing I'm more inclined to want to fill the 46-55 size engine space.

As for other designs I have pretty advanced drawings for both the Arrow 40 (MK) and the Citation 45 (Yoshioka) both designed for RE powerful 45-46's (i.e., OS VF's, YS FR's and Rossi R45's - this last albeit quite rare nowadays). The same goes for the Blue Angel 40 and the Thunder Bird 40 (both MK). Last but not least I have been thinking about the Yoshioka Dash-5 45 and finally 40 size versions of the Bootlegger, Brushfire, Calypso and Cutlass. The last of which is really a 50 size design as it stands and would likely do very well on anything between a strong 45 and a 55 provided it is re-designed to frame up lightly which I've mostly done. As for the Calypso, well, it is a design that was never kitted as framed up

If there is interest in some laser cut kits of any of the designs mentioned, a thread could be started to discuss them. As I plan to cut one or two of these (probably not all) for myself at some point, I'd be happy to share that effort with anyone else interested as was done with the Dirty Birdy 40.

We can start a thread to open the discussion and decide which one to do first. I'm happy to collaborate with anyone interested along the lines of what Doug and I (and Kevin) did with the Super Chipmunk 120 (thread on RCG). With the Dirty Birdy 40 I was also spurred into action and helped by a nice set of
CADrib drawings provided to me by Jim.

David

Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 40/45 size Classics

Why thank you Tim.

Good to see you got the ball rolling. Hopefully this will develop into an interesting thread.

I just realized I hadn't finished the last sentence in the second paragraph before I posted. I surely got distracted by something while making the post.

David
Old 05-21-2013, 04:35 AM
mrshea
My Feedback: (2)

I would be in to help with this too. As a matter of fact, Just to keep my cad "chops" if you will, I started to draw up a scaled down mach1 for .40 for .46 size engines. Drawing hasn't stalled out on them just appears to be some unique challenges in the design i'm working out. But yeah I would love to be a part of this effort. Tipo .46 plans are done and will be starting construction in the fall. Phil
Old 05-21-2013, 04:58 AM
doxilia

Tim,

I don't know if it's possible to convert this into a poll above the discussion. I thought it would be a good way to get a sense of what designs would be of interest if they were converted into a modern construction laser kit.

If you can turn the poll feature on, please add the names of the models that have been mentioned, perhaps in alphabetical order. The poll might be preceded with a question along the lines of "Which design would you be interested in having developed into a modern laser cut kit?"

Other designs can be added as they are mentioned in the exchange.

BTW, the poll thing has been done in a few threads inquiring about 60 size classics.

David
Old 05-21-2013, 05:23 AM
doxilia

By the way,

I was kindly reminded that Rob at Hobby Barn has the mold for the Minare so for anyone who would like to build a 40 size Curare in glass and foam, a niece one is available. Rob should be contacted on that front. This is one more reason to focus framed up wood fuses to other designs.

David
Old 05-21-2013, 05:47 AM
EscapeFlyer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...Great Escape!

Brian
Old 05-21-2013, 06:12 AM
doxilia

Brian,

if another Bridi design were to be turned into a 40 size kit, I would also vote for the Great Escape (I've done UFO's and DB's). However, there are so many other "less available" designs that perhaps some attention ought to be paid to them.

The good news is that the Great Escape appears to be materializing in the form of a "fresh wood" 60 size kit by Blue Jay in the near future. Your NR RE 60's will be more than taken care of...

David
Old 05-21-2013, 06:20 AM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

I didn't see the Aurora 45 listed in the post above...They are suppose to fly just like the 60 size airplane (or so I've been told)...

I have an Aurora 45 kit and it has provisions for both rear exhaust and side exhaust engine options...I would personally prefer RE but if a fellow just cant find an engine there is the option for side exhaust...

I'd probably be down for a lazer cut kit of the Citation 45 and Blue Angel 40...

Good Luck with the project...

Chuck
Old 05-21-2013, 07:15 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I can't have the Tiger Tail .40(aka Bobcat) then I am all for a .40 sized Blue Angel.
While we are at it, I think somebody should laser scan an Atlanta, then reduce the size and CNC a plug!!!
Old 05-21-2013, 10:03 AM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: Atlanta 60

I didn't see the Aurora 45 listed in the post above...They are suppose to fly just like the 60 size airplane (or so I've been told)...

I have an Aurora 45 kit and it has provisions for both rear exhaust and side exhaust engine options...I would personally prefer RE but if a fellow just cant find an engine there is the option for side exhaust...

I'd probably be down for a lazer cut kit of the Citation 45 and Blue Angel 40...

Good Luck with the project...

Chuck
Chuck,

thanks for your input. The A45 sure is a beautiful model. I think I haven't mentioned that one because of the complexity of the CAD task as well as the construction itself. On the other hand, I believe that Don has made a mold of the belly pan and Keith has made a mold of the canopy. That alleviates the scope of the task.

The Blue Angel 40 on the other hand is not that difficult of a task and is quite versatile seeing that it uses a side mounted engine of which plenty are available.

The Citation 45, as several of Yoshioka's designs, is a pretty straight forward build and would likely be the easiest to get into a laser kit given it's current state. The mold for the glass deck (under which the pipe resides) is also ready to go (kindly made by Don).

I'd rather not call this a "project" quite yet but the wishes are much appreciated. For the time being, I like to think of it just as a good exchange of ideas.

David
Old 05-21-2013, 10:11 AM
doxilia

ORIGINAL: JeffH

If I can't have the Tiger Tail .40(aka Bobcat) then I am all for a .40 sized Blue Angel.
While we are at it, I think somebody should laser scan an Atlanta, then reduce the size and CNC a plug!!!
Jeff,

if you have a TT40/Bobcat plan that you can share, I'd be happy to take a look at it.

As for the Atlanta, I'm not sure what you have in mind when you say a "laser scan". Are you thinking along the lines of digitizing the 3D model to then produce a scaled down plug? Whew! I won't go there as it has nothing to do with laser cut wood fuses. That said, I think it would be a wonderful project.

There may be an easier route to that though. I believe Zigsaw made a 40 size "Atlanta". If it wasn't Zigsaw it was IM and they made a very similar design. I want to say it was called something like an Omega but not quite as this last was a 60 size design. Now I remember, it was called a Quatro.

David
Old 05-21-2013, 10:51 AM
JeffH
My Feedback: (43)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I never knew there was a .40 sized Atlanta. The Omega was the side exhausted sister of the Atlanta.
Yes, laser scan, digitize with a stylus, etc anyway input into the computer via a 3D method. WAAY out of most modelers reach, incuding mine.
I have not been able to find Bobcat plans. I made a mistake by not ordering them from Chidgey when he had is site up until last year.
Old 05-21-2013, 04:33 PM
kdmbm116

Pictures of a Zigsaw Quatro 40 SR kit.

Kelly
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23721.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1884078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98084.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	1884079   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36951.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	1884080  
Old 05-21-2013, 06:04 PM
doxilia

Yup! Thanks Kelly.

nice looking mini Atlanta. [8D]

David
Old 05-21-2013, 06:15 PM
tgwhitley

Poll is up and I voted for Citation 45

Tim

Old 05-21-2013, 07:02 PM
Atlanta 60
My Feedback: (18)

That Quattro is really neat!!

Found a cool pic while Googling Aurora 45...

Name:	Li21287.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	1884108  
Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

I never understood why Global stopped the Avance 40 ARF.  Or why someone didn't come out with a kit of it.  I remember when I started looking at Pattern abotu 12 years ago there really wasn't anything in the 40 size.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:32 PM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cermark used to market a nice ARF called the Javelin II. It called for a .40 but I used a 55AX and loved the combo. They don't carry it any more but I wonder if anyone remembered it, and if they know whether it is carried somewhere else under another name?

I know that this is not considered a 'Classic' but was wondering if it bore a resemblance to any of the REAL classics that are under discussion??? The plane flew really well until I dumb-thumbed it to death.

Bob

Name:	Xv64235.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	1884368  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Fa85263.pdf (3.20 MB, 66 views)