RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Planes Big Stik Kit Plans
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 09:02 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes Big Stik Kit Plans

ORIGINAL: Sir Crashalot

Thanks for the replies and the photos. Some nice looking Stiks there. I was thinking of making some cosmetic changes as well, but I was worried that it would adversely affect the flight characteristics of the plane. So my next question is have you noticed any ill effects of these changes from the original? Also, I would like to know your method of installing the aileron servos. I have seen several methods of installation and I would like to know what works best for this bird. One more question. Is that the landing gear that came with the kit? Would that be the same that is available for the ARF of this plane? The plans show a beefy L5 gear. The ARF gear seems less so. I need something that will hold up to some rough landings. (Please notice my username.) Your suggestions on landing gear replacement would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.

The Stik design allows one a fair amount of latitude in making cosmetic changes to one's model without incurring any bad flying habits and after numerous changes to mine it's as nice a flier as it ever was.

For installing servos in the wings for ailerons I chose a wing bay mid span the ailerons and used a piece of 1/8" thk. ply as the servo tray which is glued to runners fitted to the sides of the wing ribs and lower wing spar. Because of the 23cc gas engine's 16" prop needing more ground clearance than the stock gear allows I used a taller alum. l/gear from a Goldberg Wild Stick.