RCU Forums - View Single Post - Foreplane to wing incedence on a canard
Old 06-13-2013, 01:46 AM
alasdair

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Foreplane to wing incedence on a canard

Zero, Zero, Zero is not the answer, unless the last Zero means zero Stability. (yes I know you mean the engine thrustline, but which end is the engine?)

You need the foreplane at a couple of degrees positive to the wing, maybe more.
I would also advocate using a wing section with little or no pitching moment, like a symmetrical section, a 5-digit NACA, or an Eppler reflexed.

I have built s series of canard delta models (called Candel, as I'm not good with original names). They all flew, but improved with development.
They all had a tractor engine, small foreplane, delta wing.
The first had elevators on the flat plate foreplane, set at +2 to 3 degrees.
The second had BIG elevators, later an all moving foreplane.
The third had elevators on the foreplane and elevons on the wing
The fourth had a fixed foreplane (Clark Y thinned to 9%) and was controlled purely by elevons. It also had rudders. The foreplane was part of a front hatch for acess to tank/radio, and its flat bottom was rigged at Zero, like the symmetrical wing.

You don't need to be "careful" with the foreplane section/size. The foreplane will ALWAYS stall before the wing, because it is always more heavily loaded. Unless of courseyou go crazy with the foreplane section, and fit a very undercambered foreplane like a NACA 6409 or something.

What is a much more common problem on tail-firstmodelsis the foreplane stalling prematurely, before the wing gets anywhere near its stalling angle.
The problem with having e.g. a flat plate foreplane is that it stalls early. So on landing, instead of flaring out for a nice touchdown the foreplane stalls early and drops the nose hard on the runway.

I would advocate a symmetrical wing, or a 5-digit NACA with 1 or 2% camber, and a cambered foreplane like a thinned Clark Y, either all moving or with an elevator.

Seems we don't get photos again today. I'll try later
(Friday, photo upload working again)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36149.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	145.5 KB
ID:	1891405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58677.jpg
Views:	1325
Size:	247.0 KB
ID:	1891406   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41421.jpg