RCU Forums - View Single Post - Foreplane to wing incedence on a canard
Old 06-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Villa

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Foreplane to wing incedence on a canard

Hi tdstaf
I designed and flew a Coroplast pusher Canard for about 8 years, with an OS-46FX engine. It had vertical stabs and rudders on the main wing tips. I started with a conventional main wing and later changed to a swept wing. With either wing there always was a right to left wobble that I could not get rid of; a Dutch Roll may describe it. I finally decided that the Canard wing may have been sending turbulant air to the main wing. I was thinking of lowering the Canard wing to eliminate this turbulance, but never got around to it. I had two bad experiences I would like to warn you about; I was trying to do a loop while in knife edge and had been moving the CG back to make it possible-this was with the straight wing. At one point the plane whent into an inverted flat spin that I could not recover from. On another, with the swept wing main wing, I was doing a high speed climbing turn when the plane snap rolled, and changed direction 180 degrees. I managed to save it. I concluded I had experience a high speed stall, due to too much elevator. I reduced the elevator travel so it could do any type of loop with no stall. One day a lelephone pole pop up in front of it and totaled the plane. I have never rebuilt it. Maybe someday. I used 2-3 degrees of positive incidence for the Canard wing, and zero on everything else.