RCU Forums - View Single Post - Internet killed old style model magazines?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:08 PM
SGibson
My Feedback: (2)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Internet killed old style model magazines?

I started the thread about old magazines compared to the current crop. I am not an expert on this new subject but I believe the internet killed the old style model magazines. Since most of the model suppliers are mom and pop type operations, these small operations probably found they could get as much or more exposure by advertising on the internet. Remember when RC Modeler was over 100 + pages and those pages had tons of advertising? My guess is mom and pop could have a multipage website that could be updated easily and frequently instead of advertising in the model magazines that had long lead times. A small cheap ad in a magazine directing a modeler to a website was more efficient.
Instead of magazines, now we have websites that have multiple forums on different subjects. I ignore many of the forums and most of the advertising too, but almost every day I check my favorite websites for new posts and updated information on old posts. Unfortunately these websites don't have editors that filter and refine the information.
I don't believe the old magazines were better than the new internet delivery system but I sure miss sitting down in the evening with my new RC Modeler or Model Airplane news magazine.