RCU Forums - View Single Post - Internet killed old style model magazines?
Old 06-13-2013, 03:18 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Internet killed old style model magazines?

As a person who used to build / sell model electronic accessories, word of mouth was what worked for me. I had a little blurb in "new products" once in a model mag, it really didn't generate much in the way of interest.

I think what's killed the "old style" model mags is more the "video game" syndrome. Kids are used to instant gratification, rather than learning a nice relaxing hobby. It also seems kids are always being run from one place to another, doing team sports, in every season of the year - baseball, football, soccer, tennis, etc.. that, and filling what time is left with video games and TV.

Hence the "ARF" culture - buy & fly. Not too many people setting down with something that requires time and patience, such as crafting a kit-built or scratch-built plane. Manufacturers noted this - their kit sales were dwindling, and the ARF sales increasing, so guess where their efforts lie? They're in the business to make money, and they have to build what people are buying. Magazines follow suit - they're in it to make a living too, so they cater to the big advertisers. The almighty dollar..

I would like to build more kits, but it seems my time is more taken up with work and family stuff, the older I get. When my kids were young, we built some together, but none of them are really interested in it any more, too many other hobbies to take up their time.