Thread: Hotser
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2013, 11:25 AM
dbacque
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Hotser

ORIGINAL: MJD

Yeah they are some engine. Once you handle one, you'll likely forget all the doubts you ever had about the sticker price.
I don't care what they cost, I want three or four more!

Oh wow, I flew The Hotser again today! Flights 3, 4 and 5.

Flight 3 was good. I was more prepared for what was to come, I had things fairly well trimmed and I settled into more of a speed plane, high speed pass type of pattern. I kept the flight short but learned a lot about the plane.

Flight 4 was even better. I fired up the HKDoppler app on my cell phone (when did they change the name and take on HK sponsorship?) But I didn't get a single speed reading on this flight. Well, actually I got lots of readings of 29 mph, 27 mph, 32 mph. Turns out that when it updated from RCSpeedo to HKDoppler, it reset all the settings to default. Plus, I wasn't getting very low or close yet.

Flight 5 was a joy! I tweaked the needle more than before, it was really on the pipe and I was more comfortable. Good gosh, this thing is a ball to fly! My friend Mike was laughing like a goon behind me the entire flight. Every time I'd pull up out of a speed run and climb out at undiminished speed he would howl! I really think he was having more fun that I was. But the best part was that when I landed and reviewed HKDoppler, I had numbers.

Survey says, 140+ mph! I was still not getting in very close and it only picked up a handful of passes. All were above 140 mph with one at 138.5.

The engine still isn't thoroughly run in, I've got the pipe pulled out a bit from peak, the needle is still on the rich side and I haven't tried any other props yet. But I've already hit the design goal. I wanted this plane to do 140 and it's there with no tweaking.

On the last flight I did a bit of zooming around at full throttle, figure eight turns and Cuban eights back and forth. This thing rocks.

I am settling down from the first flight jitters. I think it's now scarier to the guys behind the flight line than it is to me. I just grooves and goes forever in the direction that you point it. What fun, what fun. I think I'm hooked!

Dave