Thread: Tiny Curare
View Single Post
Old 07-17-2013, 04:06 PM
doxilia
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Tiny Curare

Minor comment,

As a general rule its not a good idea to print scale independent files at a print shop. DWG (and several other CAD format) files don't have a built in scale meaning that the printout (paper space) size can be set at the moment of printing. What this means is that it is a less reliable format when dealing with generic print shops where the expertise may be limited. That said, a facility that is used to dealing with architectural and engineering printing on a daily basis should be able to handle the job and deliver the correct printout.

Still, I personally prefer to minimize the variables and provide a "scale locked" file format to the repro shop. That way, if there is a mistake, it is easy to point out the mistake is on their part and have it corrected. The ideal file format for this is PDF although postscript (PS) or encapsulated PS (EPS) are very similar but mostly deprecated.

On plans I draw, in addition to the scale, I like to include a "plan frame" indicating its size to easily verify printout.

In short, it is fairly straight forward to produce the PDF from the DWG source at the desired scale and then send that to the printers.

David