RCU Forums - View Single Post - Futaba receivers
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2013, 04:35 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Futaba receivers

ORIGINAL: rmh

We setup our expensive models with the same moderately priced radios -but pay lots of attention to rx placement and power delivery setup - NO regulators.
Got a question for you.

I'm a long-time 72 mHz user, finally getting onboard the 2.4 train with a new Futaba 12Z (purchased about a week before they discontinued the thing
).

It is my understanding that its best to use a five cell/6V receiver pack with 2.4, the better to prevent a voltage drop "brown-out". My problem here is that most of my servos are specifically NOT recommended for use with six volts (Futaba 9252). Yes, I know tons of folks say they do it with no issue, but I see no reason to tempt fate. My plan was to put a regulator inline between battery and receiver to drop the voltage down to 5V or so. But you seem to advise against this. Moot point so far, because I haven't been able to find a suitable regulator.

Here's my question: how much of a chance am I taking on flying with a four cell/4.8V pack? All my receiver packs are higher-capacity NiMH; 1650mAh on a Kougar, 3600mAh on an H9 27% Extra 260. These are the "slimers" I'm converting to 2.4; the other ones will likely be e-power, since I'm getting into that now as well with an E-Flite Pulse XT 25, with plans for other electric models.

There are some guys at my club flying lots of sport planks on 2.4 with 4.8V packs, but they crash a lot too. Still, as you alluded to, that might have more to do with their generally sloppy approach to the hobby in general.

Anyway... I'm asking you because you have always seemed to know what you're talking about (I've been on this board a bloody loooong time), and I have been unable to get a straight answer out of certain industry 'experts'.

Thanks for your time... I feel like a frigging noob all over again...[&o]