RCU Forums - View Single Post - rebuild or go with new frame??
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2013, 10:18 PM
Roshaanb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rebuild or go with new frame??

Hi,
Im new to RC airplanes.
I found an old P51 mustang with a supertigre g2300 and partly-wrecked dog fighter (OS LA .15) with some parts for a good price so I bought it....
While my glow plug heater charged... I took the engines off to inspect them.
The OS LA .15 had minor scoring on the cylinder walls and the super tigre has very significant scoring. I do think they will both run but none start by hand.... I have to use the starting motor thing.
I got the OS LA .15 to run good except that it spray a lot of fuel from both carb and exhaust...Im assuming this is normal.
As I have never flown an RC plane or helicopter and neither have seen anyone fly one close up, I intend to fix the little .15 plane first to practice on and then use the G2300 P51.
TBH, the dogfighter seems to have been built by a kid...lots and lots of glue with parts out of alignment and it's very roughly put together.
Im not sure if I should rebuild it or if I should just go with another frame.
Could you please recommend a 0.15 engine sized push prop kit or kit with large wings?
I would like to build something that could support FPV in the future and would prefer starting with the .15 engine unless its not powerful enough in which case I would go with the G2300 supertigre.
I was told it could go 200mph...I think realistically it would be more like 180-200km/hr which still gets me hesitant to mess with it.
and...If I relocate the fuel tank and servo's to the rear end, would it help set up the weight distribution so that the plane could glide easier if the engine fails?
also...the P51 mustang with the G2300 seems much more front heavy than the OS LA .15 dogfighter. Is the G2300 too heavy for this frame?