RCU Forums - View Single Post - Skymaster F-86 1/5 first products
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2013, 04:26 PM
F106A
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Skymaster F-86 1/5 first products

Hi,
I've had four SM kits, (2) F-16's, F-4 and F-86, and they all had MAJOR problems, but the F-86 was by far the worst.
I was warned by several modelers about the F-86, but I didn't listen. Oh well....
I cut the ends of the center tank at a 45 degree angle, Hysoled a cover over each end. This allows the clunk to reach each side of the "narrowed" width.
The landing lights are a PITA. I mounted the lights in the nose, used a ball link on the light actuating arm and ran pushrod to the rear gear former, where I mounted a small servo.
There's not a lot of room to work, the biggest issue is the pushrod clearance between the nose gear frame and the gear mount side wall, but it can be done, just not sure it's worth the effort, especially since my lights don't work.
When I was at KY jets, I talked to a modeler who gave me some info on modifications that are needed:
Carbon fiber the fin former to stiffen it up. C/F the openings for the speedbrake opening. Glue gussets on the "tabs" that bolt the two fuse half's together. Over time, the fuse will start to crack.
Tie the two stab mount tubing together with C/F. C/F around the rear wing pin.
To give a less negative take off attitude, deflate the main struts until the top of the wheel rim is even with the bottom of the strut.
I think he said he balanced it at 390 mm and he added 1.5 # of lead to balance, as did I, but he removed all of it as it was way nose heavy and took forever to takeoff.
I'm going to fly mine next week after I finish the mods he suggested, so I'll let you know how it went.
I've got a NEXUS (36 pounds) and the final weight is 42 pounds and I'll have 9 pounds of fuel. I'll probably reduce the fuel load after I check the fuel burn.
Good Luck,
Jon