RCU Forums - View Single Post - Foam Glider conversion Tutorial
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2013, 10:26 AM
apwachholz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Converting one of those foam toy gliders to RC is a novelty project that one does for the fun of doing it, not for the end result of getting a good flying airplane." - jester_s1

@Jester

I'll refute that comment in good faith having just completed a very successful Air Hogs maiden this weekend. If done correctly, they are very stable and excellent flying machines. "Aerodynamics are aerodynamics", so my wife says (the pilot) and so long as you don't mess with what works, doing a foam build can be enjoyable and be a great learning experience. All that said, I do agree with you that one needs to be a proficient pilot in order to make one of these foam glider conversions a success. You can have the best plane but if you can't fly, well, .... you get my point.

I'm in the works to get an article published in the next few weeks which will document, in detail, the build and the process. The best part? All electronics aside (e.g., radio, battery, etc.) the parts for the build were approximately $20.

Please Note: The conversion I spoke to previously in this thread was a wonderful failure (above). I learned a lot, to say the least. The conversion/maiden I'm speaking to in this specific post (see attached image) was a success.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	FoamFlyer-2.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	1907252  

Last edited by apwachholz; 08-12-2013 at 11:22 AM.