RCU Forums - View Single Post - Heli stuff and fellowship
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 08:19 AM
dooleyje

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone. It has been a while. A lot of things have happened since my last post. First, We have moved to another house closer to my job at the store. Deb has retired and has been growing her own business. I am teaching airplane flying as well as helicopter training. Sad part (yeaa right) it keeps me at the flyng field 4 days a week. I currently have 6 heli and 5 airplane students. The plank students are learning via buddy box. My heli students get a mixture of class roon and flying sessions.

I recently snagged a MCPX BL and I have to say it is what the first two versions should have been. I found nothing that needs to be upgraded or modified and is very powerful allowing for the low grass chopping inverts and plently of power to blast out for recovery. Mine has been through several crashes and other than blowing the grass out of it, no fix-un is needed. If you want to learn 3D this is the one to get. Be sure to get plenty of 2 cell 220mah-300mah batteries to take with you. Trust me, you will be hogging a flying station at your local field.

New products worth mentioning, The Blade ProX helicopters with the 700, 600 and 550. These are pro series helicopters and the quality is outstanding. Carbon frames and Alum head and tail with torque tube. I am finishing a 550x kit I got for myself and it is a bag of bolts type kit. like the Trex kits with sub assemblies already to finish. be sure to check for thread locker. The manual is super and easy to understand and is in logical order. All bags are clearly marked. The kit arrived with motor and bec. It did not have an ESC. You can use 100amp for mild flying and 130amp for smack down 3D. The combo kits that have the esc will have an Eflight 130. Horizon has a warning that a few esc have bit the dust. Well, so has Castle. I plan on using a Castle 130 edge. Sadly, the great Ice100 is discontinued. The down side is a few plastic parts such as the lower bearing block, antirotaion bracket,Tail arm and horizontal fin mount. All can be upgraded to metal. The heli uses three main bearing blocks. The uper two are used to mount the cyclic servos. The tail servo is mounted inboard. Head and tail have thrust bearings.It also comes with carbon blades and Glass canopy. The tail has two bearings supporting the torque tube.

See ya,
JIm

Last edited by dooleyje; 08-21-2013 at 04:59 PM.