RCU Forums - View Single Post - Internet killed old style model magazines?
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 PM
WacoNut

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Ahhhh the gold old days(70's) when I was a kid flipping thru R/C Modeler magazines.
This thread sent me on a trip down memory lane.
My dad would bring me one home every few months and I would wear them out looking thru them so much. I was limited to building Comet and Guillows rubber powered free flights. My dad always told me that if I wanted to fly R/C I had to buy the stuff myself. One of the 1st toys I bought myself after working full-time was a .40 trainer and a Futaba radio. 30yrs later still buying my toys.

These day the few magazines I do buy my wife chucks them after a couple weeks. I don't mind as for the most part they are just advertisements and what reviews you do see now are usually ARF's. Not near as much depth in the mags as their used to be for sure.

Now days if I want a good product review I go to the forums and search for a build thread. It is a great way of checking out a kit and seeing how people like it. In a lot of ways better then a magazine review as you can get feedback to questions in short order. Not the same as the old magazines for sure and some may say better but I do have to say I do miss the good old days.
Later!!
Anthony