RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM ZERO BUILD
View Single Post
Old 09-10-2013, 04:45 PM
carrera mike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by All Day Dan
Mike, Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I’m still not up to speed with RCUs” new format. It looks like they went through, what we used to call at work, a “catastrophic improvement”. That’s when you take something that is working perfectly well and improve it until it’s worse than before. I was not getting the threads I was subscribed to or the forums. Back to your issue of torroids. Since you are a ham, you are well aware of the difference between 50 Megahertz and 2.4 Gigahertz. Because of the short wavelength at 2.4 Gig, about five inches, resistors, capacitors, inductors and all other types of electronic components are not subject to normal circuit theory. Your use of a choke will probably not buy you anything at 2.4 Gig, the only frequency that you should be concerned with. The main source of RFI is the arc across the spark plug gap. It could contain RF components at 2.4 that could be radiated or even conducted back to the receiver. That’s what you have to watch out for. You also know that there is no such thing as a radio frequency device that is immune from radio frequency interference. Some are better than others but don’t bet on it. Always follow you RC manufacturers’ advice diligently when installing your system. Dan.

Thanks Dan! Appreciate the insight.
Ill make sure Ill do numerous ground checks for static/RFI.