RCU Forums - View Single Post - CARF-Models 2013 Series 3.1m Extra 330SC
Old 09-22-2013, 04:42 PM
Dean Bird
My Feedback: (39)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the installations complete, the question I received was, "if there was anything you would have done differently"?

Here's what I sent via PM.

~~~~~~

What I wouldn't do if I started over:

- Try to guess the CG by holding it at the wing tube without the wings on. That was a suggestion I had been given. I did that and mounted the batteries WAY too far back (in the turtledeck behind the pilot figure). I should have taken 30 minutes, put the wings on, and asked for help from my wife or son to check the CG and get the batteries, receiver, and PowerExpander mounted in the correct location. That would have kept me from wasting time mounting things in the wrong place.

- Use the Pilot-RC wheels on a Dubro 3/16" axle. The axle is a little under size for the wheel. The wheel hub failed on the 3rd flight when I landed in a strong cross wind. The side load broke the wheel hub.

- Build the engine standoff out of layers of 1/4" plywood. It took a long time to build, was heavy, and made it more difficult to hook everything up inside the cowl. This was my first 200 and I wanted to make sure the engine backplate had maximum support. I would just use the SWB mount and standoffs if I were to do it again.

- I have Multiplex connections for the aileron servos. Right now the connector is passed inside the fuselage, plugged in, and the connector is held to the inside of the fuselage with a piece of Velcro. If I were doing it again I would figure out how people are mounting the Multiplex connector on the fuselage side inside the wing root.

That's it.

~~~~~~

There were just those couple things that I came up with. The only significant item is the standoff for the engine.

I wanted to be sure and provide that look back for everyone else.