RCU Forums - View Single Post - Let's gasify a Vanquish
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2013, 06:27 AM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by choihjin
Now I am posting my first hand-made soft mount for OS 33GT.
Thanks a lot Matt. Your guidance really helped me very much.
Mine (130 g) is heavier than what you and I expected. Probably I glued too much epoxy and CA. But it includes four stand-off mounts and beautiful carbon clothes on the front and rear plates.
Now I know what I will do or not for next projects. Thanks again Matt.
Regards

Choihjin, 130 grams with the 4 stand offs is about as expected. The stand offs probably weigh around 50 grams, so the mount itself weighs around 80 grams. Very good for a first effort. As you build others, you will find how and where to remove weight. For example, if you wanted to spend some time grinding away some of the wood on the facings, you could remove another 10 grams at least. If you cut the studs back at least 1/4" that will shave another 10 grams. Remember you only need about 7-8 threads on the studs. Four - five threads are usually enough for a 100% strength joint.

One thing you probably should do is to add a thin ply ring (1/64" is plenty thick) on the balsa spacer where it was cut. You want a smooth surface riding on the rubber facing of the rear balsa spacer. Otherwise, the rough balsa edges will grind the rubber apart quickly.

Good work!! I am interested in its performance. Please report back after flying it a few dozen flights