RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pilots that have to fly ww1 tail draggers on paved runways
Old 10-21-2013, 06:03 AM
Joe Westrich
My Feedback: (95)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's not a gyro need or a proficiency issue (unless you are not proficient). When your tailskid is on the pavement during run out from a landing, you can be at a point of little or no control with your rudder. I often see the plane pushed one direction from a crosswind and the rudder is in full deflection in the opposite direction. The result is a pavement ground loop. A gyro does not help when your rudder is not working.

You can try to hold the tail off the ground as long as possible by using a little down elevator during runout. This will give you a slower ground speed before your tail drops. Your rudder will be effective for a longer period of time. It may not rid you of the ground loop completely but it will occur at a slower speed..... saving the wingtips. This is only slightly helpful and if the crosswind is significant then you may just want to wait it out or find some grass to land on. I have not done the rubber tube on the tailskid but it seems like it would help. Your tailskid is skidding sideways with a crosswind so it should stifle this unwanted movement.

With all of that said, it really isn't that much fun to fly a WWI aircraft off of pavement at all, especially with a crosswind.