RCU Forums - View Single Post - Decisions Decisions
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 04:55 AM
AmericanSpectre505

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Neil,

I'm currently not sponsored by anyone at the moment by my choice, so I'll give you my opinion and advice, for what it's worth.

The NUE F3A is a fantastic power house, but it requires more maintenance and can be a bit un friendly to new EP pilots (Great motor I flew Archie's Miss Wind three rounds in 2010, while on leave and loved the motor). The AXi is a good motor but heavy and doesn't swing the big props. Ryan already gave you the scoop on the E-Flight 180. The A60-7S-V2 is a great affordable motor and its light and efficient. I ran one in my converted Black Magic VF3 in 2012 as a test motor (excellent motor). I am currently running a Q80-14XS in my BJ Craft Nuance. The Q80 is a very strong and efficient motor, but you are limited to the speed controller due to the stator/ winding design from what I am told (The Hacker A60-7S-V2 works great with the castle HV 80 and has all the power I needed for FAI). The Q80 will not run on the CC 80 HV, Mezon, Jetti spin 99 pro (what I'm using and I believe A.J. is still using it). I am very happy with the Q80 and will put one in my EPIC (Q80-13XS), whenever it gets here.

Other motors to consider; New MPI HI-MAXX 6330-210 another great motor( lighter). The Pletty Advance is another very efficient and super strong motor (difficult to get and the reason I went with the Hacker Q80. The Shulman FURY is a very strong motor and affordable and Dualsky has a new motor that is light and very strong.

Another thing to consider, most newer airframes are designed more for nose mounted out runners or in-runners like the NUE or Hacker in-runner and most new airframes do not come with a firewall for rear mounted motors.

I have run the Pletty 30-10 EVO, great power and fairly efficient.
I have run the Hacker A-60-7S-V2 (extreamely happy with the motor for $214.00 and $165.00 for a CC HV 80)
I am running the Q80-14XS, also very happy with the setup, but more costly dollar wise at $550.00 and $200.00+ for the appropriate ESC.

Ulitmately, I'd fly what is more prevalent in the district you fly, so you have some additional support.

Bill

Originally Posted by Ryan Smith
I flew the Power 180 in an Oxai Splendor this year and it had a ton of power. I flew Dave Lockhart's Bravo with Neu F3A and liked it a lot. Very strong power, but more importantly, incredible braking and a constant speed. The Power 180 was happy with a 20x13W (originally APC, then Dave let me borrow a Wistmodel carbon 21x13W at the Nats. I believe Falcon has a 21.5x13 that performs similarly to the 21x13W. Something I would be very interested to try on the outrunners is one of the new Mejzlik 3-blade F3A propellers. FWIW, the Neu is going to be my preferred setup this year, provided I can get my act together.

Last edited by AmericanSpectre505; 11-11-2013 at 05:04 AM.