RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need advise and help on new project
View Single Post
Old 02-15-2014, 12:31 PM
daddyrabbit1234
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TomCrump
The wing struts on IKON desiogns are functional. Be careful, if you plan to use streamlined tubing. The K&S product is thin wall, and is not sufficient,.I hear, but have not tried that this tubing will work. http://www.flygtm.com/products.php?type=struts I assume the price is on a per foot basis. I would ask the vendor if they are of sufficient strength for a wing with functional struts.

I've built several IKON kits, and do not share the view of their products that you have related.

IKON kits were for advanced builders. Their design assumed that the builder had advanced his skills to the point where these kits would be challenging, but completion was not beyond their reach. IKON was a cottage industry. They didn't have die cutting presses. The kits were cut by hand. Some alternate materials were implemented, which may explain the "poor wood" comment.

The plans were fine. The instructions, because this model was for advanced builders, were minimal. They covered only any areas where the designer felt the builder may have problems. Emil (the designer) had an unusual way of wording things, which sometimes left his instructions open for interpretation. Back in the day, a quick call to him would clear things up.

There are several of us who collect, and build these kits. We enjoy the challenge, and yes, the quality of these kits.

Here are pics of some of the IKON designs that I have owned and built over the years. My latest one (the green/yellow Cessna Airmaster) was built 2 years ago. The kit was still in great shape ! Although some are 20 years old, I still have all of these, except the orange/blue Fairchild which met an early demise.
I don't know much about theses kit's other than what I have researched and read here and on other forum's. I would safely say that 70% of people who have written review's on these kit's sounded like horror stories with the poor quality of wood and part fitment and most of all the lack of clear build instruction's on the plan's. Now the worst part is if you have a problem you can't call Ikon to help like you could back in the day.

I found a master builder here on RCU that's printing the original Ikon Curtiss plan's for me. He added that he had traced in missing part's and it would come with a revised instruction sheet to make the build process go easier. If I were to take a notion to build one of these from scratch I'd use the revised plan's and find someone to select my wood and cut my part's for me then I might be able to build one.

The original kit's make some of the nicest planes on the field but it takes an above average builder to complete one.