RCU Forums - View Single Post - DynaFlite Super Decathlon Kit Bash and Build
Old 02-18-2014, 06:37 AM
mattnew
My Feedback: (2)

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

@rsguy3
Good luck with your choice, I think I'd only go electric if you have electricity at your field, otherwise with a plane this large you are looking at charging using generators...G38 is a good solid engine. If you went with that you'd have the servos in the stock location and not where I chose to put them.

an update:

The plane is ready to fly. unfortunately the weather isn't ... Being in New England it will likely be late March/early April when we get to maiden flights on the plane. I'll break the engine in sometime mid march once it gets warm enough to not freeze my hands off trying to start it.

She weighs 12lbs 9oz without smoke or fuel. Not the 11lbs I was shooting for, but well below most peoples RTF weights in the 16-18lb range. I'm ok with this, as I used heavier covering to get the design and style I wanted, and I added a smoke system as well. I was able to balance the plane without any added weight. servos are in the center section like a typical plane, not in the tail per original design. It balances at the rear most recommended point per the plans this way. I'm pretty happy I didn't have to add weight. Hardware is all 4-40, which is probably overkill, I'm still waiting on a backordered servo for the rudder. I ordered a tactic tsx65 for the rudder, seemed like a pretty impressive servo for the $$, hasn't come in yet.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=TACM0265 ... We'll see how it does.

I don't have wheel pants on the plane. I've never had good luck with wheel pants + grass fields, so instead of making them and then breaking them, I just left them off. Its a bit ugly... but... *shrug* oh well. I may finish them at a later date depending on how I like flying the plane. I need to find a way to get more throw on the ailerons... There is enough for maiden flights.. but long term I can tell I'll want more