RCU Forums - View Single Post - 1/7th F-14D Scratch build thread *building started*
Old 03-03-2014, 05:26 PM
ianober
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by invertmast
So after finishing the cnc programming for the 120" skyraider flap hinges, i started the prgoramming on the spoiler panels and cut out the left wing inboard spoiler panel.

Heres a picture of it mocked up to the first wing panel:

The spoiler is actually slightly oversize on the front edge, reason being, the spoiler outlines were a PAIN to mold, so the perimeter of the wing isnt the best. So the spoilers are used to mark the trim line on the wing panel to adjust the wing edge to fit the panels perfectly.

Heres a shot of the top of the spoiler with its hinges mocked in place.

Now your probably wondering what is up with the darker portion.

The spoiler panels are machined from .093" G10. The "skin" is approx. .035" thick. This appr. .058" thick difference is the structure on the back side of the panel. There are also premachined slots for the spoiler hinges to slot into with just enough gap on either side to allow hysol to fit in.
Overall weight for this panel is 16 grams. All four panels per wing are roughly the same area, so a full set of spoiler panels for one wing should be 64 grams or 2.2oz.

Once i get the basic airframe completed, ill go back into CAD and draw up the details that are seen on the underside of the spoilers and then machine the plugs for that. Those will then be a very lightweight fiberglass molding that will get glued to the Spoiler panels

Thomas, instead of hogging out all that material why don't you just cut 2 pieces, one of the spoiler surface and one of the inner frame as a stiffner and then laminate the 2 together, It will probably save you quite a bit of machine time and tooling.