RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Tigre G/20 .19 Diesel RC????
View Single Post
Old 03-23-2014, 02:40 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by brokenenglish
Yeah, we'll probably never know for sure... but there are a couple of points that I find surprising.

The seller (Gaby, I've had several super engines from him) apparently assumes that as no size is marked on the engine, then it must be something unusual.
I would have thought that the reverse would be true, i.e. no marking = "standard" and any "special" size would be stamped (like the G15/19).

Secondly, I don't recall ever seeing an ST comp locking lever that wasn't black (OK, that's not very conclusive, but it's true).

Finally, I used to own an engine visually identical to this one (sold on eBay last year, to NZ) and mine was a 2.5 of course.
This engine is a very late G20/15 (mid-seventies), still being produced at a time when the G15 was already the serious competition engine for 10 years...
Hmmm, I'm doubtful, but I think we'll never know. I certainly wouldn't buy it on the evidence we have at the moment.

The error in the Drone advert, mentioned above, is probably due to using "copy and paste" and not checking, when trying to do a lot of descriptions quickly.

My assertion that the G20/15D was available right into the 80's is based on the advertisments for them in the backpages of the Aeromodeller during the era.

They were in demand (at least) for c/l combat. It's raining very heavily right now so I can't go down the shed and scan an ad. Maybe tomorrow.

This is what Ian Russell said about the G20 series glow engines in 2003.

"RE: SuperTigre G20/19"
In response to Reply # 0

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: dclite"][/TD]
[TD="class: dclite"] The G20/15, 19, and 23, are a series of wonderful engines all on the 15 c/case. Your 19 is probably a single ballrace engine, although it looks like two. If the prop thread is 1/4-28, it's a single BR. There are three types of c/case, easily distinguished by the date they appeared being written on the case, 1960, 1965, and 1970. I think 19's and 23's all had massive sub-piston induction, due to squeezing the larger engine into the smaller case. EXCEPT in the 1970 20/23 the sub-piston induction was eliminated by curving up the bottom edge of the exhaust port. I have never seen a 1970 20/19.
If using a muffler, either a 15 or 23 with no s.p.i. is the way to go. A muffled 19 with s.p.i. suffers great power loss with a muffler. Without muffler, they are all great. Don't be mislead by the old baffle piston layout. These motors are no slouches. In the 60's and 70's I used to T/R these (20/23) engines against the 29's, nearly always placing. On 30cc fuel, (1oz.=28cc?) we did the race (5 miles) non-stop at 94mph.
I reckon a muffled 23 with no s.p.i. is an excellent substitute for a Fox 35. With muffler about the same weight and possibly more power than a stock Fox. I have one of these engines lined up for a Larry Richards Baby T'brd! Guess I'll have to hold it back a bit, or use longer lines! Good luck, Ian R.
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
This at least establishes that there was a glow G20/19.

Last edited by qazimoto; 03-23-2014 at 02:47 AM.