RCU Forums - View Single Post - Super Tigre G/20 .19 Diesel RC????
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2014, 04:24 PM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ffkiwi
As I said earlier I think there are structural limitations that would make it unlikely-the second point is '19' is a US class size limit-not a UK a European one-why would Super Tigre make a .19 diesel for a market in which diesels are hardly used (and certainly so in the era of the 1960s when the G20 was predominantly marketed. Even the G20/19 and G15/19 glows are fairly rare beasts.......and as for the supposed G20/19D RC that would make it rarer than rare............if it exists............

ChrisM
'ffkiwi'
Mmm, I checked out my three G20/15D's yesterday. One is a 1960, and two are 1970 cases. Only one had 2.5 stamped under the exhaust.

It does seem unlikely that there was a G20/19D then, but not impossible.

Another unresolved Super Tigre issue is whether there ever was a factory batch of G15/15 Diesels as opposed to outside conversions. Engines that look like factory versions do turn up from time to time on ebay.

They're existance may just have not have made it into the modelling press.

A couple of other examples:

Back in the 80's I called into see Ivor F at his place at Doonside, as I was passing through on work business. He showed me a few glow Doonside Mills .75 engines out a batch he was making for collectors.

Another time I was talking to Stan Pilgrim of "motor boy" fame after most people had gone home from a St Ives Burford day. He was struggling to start a diesilized Taipan 15 FIRE Goldhead engine in a model. He'd only refurbished it that morning for the event. He said that it was one of a batch of 100 for collectors that Gordon Burford had made during the 1970's.

I'm sure that if either a Doonside Glow or a Burford Taipan .15 Goldhead diesel turned up on Ebay, then they'd be treated with suspicion as well.

As my old high school science teacher drummed into me, you can't prove a negative!

I'm just reserving judgement on the matter.

Ray

Edited to correct pre-breakfast grammatical errors. The ones left in are just normal. :-)

Last edited by qazimoto; 04-14-2014 at 09:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kimp (05-19-2023)