RCU Forums - View Single Post - Where are the jet guys flying in CT/MA?
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2014, 09:38 AM
70 ragtop
My Feedback: (24)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Square Nozzle
Ragtop, that is the $64,000 question. I don't know how big the Wintonbury runway is. I stopped by there about a year ago and didn't see much that impressed me. Maybe Wes has more specifics. The Northern Connecticut R/C Club also has a paved runway (if you want to call it a runway). It's about 150 feet long by 20 wide. I tried to get the club to either make it bigger or spend the funds on leveling the existing grass strip. They opted to make the phony runway for electrics. But don't despair, The New England Jets org. is always looking for a good location. We have some options that the guys are working on and that's all I can say for now. As an option, the club in Woodstock CT flies at Woodstock airport. It has a paved runway next to the grass strip that the club typically uses. The paved strip is a bit "under maintained" in that it has some rough areas and loose gravel. You have to pick your path. Jets have flown there during their annual Warbirds event. I flew there once and was nervous about undercarriage damage. If traveling is not a concern, there are several jet rallies coming up this summer. Newburyport Mass, The Plum Island Jet Rally, June 13, 14 & 15; Frankfort Jets, near Utica NY, July 18, 19 & 20; New England Jets, Gardner MA. August 15, 16 & 17 at Gardner Airport; Maine Jet Rally, Sanford ME. Sept 4 through 7 and likely another event at Plum Island in Newburyport MA in October. All are at airports with more than adequate paved runways. Stay tuned for further activity as the New England Jets guys continue to dig.

Thanks John
So is Woodstock Airport only used during events, or is open daily flying? I'm a little reluctant to get spooled back up on jets if there isn't a place to practice and shake out the cobwebs (not at an event...LOL)
Not familiar with the New England Jets org??

Thanks