RCU Forums - View Single Post - I still dont get it, beautiful expensive planes, cheap parts!
Old 06-04-2014, 02:41 PM
DeferredDefect

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I find it is all the same, now anyways.

If you buy the most expensive Futaba radio and servos, but abuse it, overcharge the pack constantly, or generally don't do maintenance, I doubt it will outlast a Hobbyking setup.
Even still, the quality difference is so close now, the average guy won't notice any difference.

The only thing that people may be confusing is that cheap, low priced junk is still available from some distributers that otherwise sell good electronics.

I can go to Hobbyking and buy the lowest price stuff they sell and wonder why my 60 sized plane flew the same way a cinder block doesn't.
I can also go to Hobbyking, spend literally a few dollars more on each component, still far below a name-brand item, and get 99% what I'd be getting from a big name supplier.

The fact is, ten years ago, there were far more component related crashes. Fifty years ago, if your radio (top of the line, and cost a small fortune) worked at all, it was a good day.
There are far fewer crashes caused by poorly manufactured bits now then ever before, and prices are cheaper, and more reliable, then ever.

Seven years ago, I bought two 9 gram JR micro-servos, and even though they were state of the art, and cost 25 dollars apiece, they lasted one summer. Now I can buy dozens of the same product online for 3 bucks a pop. They are stronger, and I've never had one fail.