RCU Forums - View Single Post - The end of small glow engines
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2014, 07:45 PM
Axle Al
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jester_s1
Electric is here to stay for two reasons: They outperform glow engines, and they are more convenient and reliable. Look at pattern flying- you'll occasionally see the venerable old OS 1.60 at a big match, but the vast majority in that sport have gone electric because of the better power to weight ratios and instant torque. EF-1 racing is growing with planes that easily outperform Q25 and Club 40 models. Even IMAC pilots are getting into the electric game because they can have a slight edge in power to weight ratios with the top of the line electric components. Most still use gas because it's so much cheaper, but the guys who don't care about the cost are quickly discovering the advantages. And, of course, for the newer pilots, buying a good charger is cheaper and simpler than buying a starter, battery, and glow driver. As said previously, the only place where glow really is still the best option is in the .40-.90 size planes because of the cost of electric and the poor performance of gas.
You make a lot of valid points scattered around alot. Kind of an odd grouping of examples and comparisons. I assume you prefer electric, fine. But answer me this make believe queston. You are going to ride a motorcycle and you have three choices. An electric powered, a Harley, or a superbike. Which ever one you choose says a lot about you and maybe when you see what most people would pick you might understand why many people still and allways will fly Nitro rc. Electric scooters are here to stay, hooray! big deal