RCU Forums - View Single Post - The end of small glow engines
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 02:19 PM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would not discount the danger Lipo batteries pose to the user.

There have been a multitude of fires caused by Lipo batteries, many are documented on this forum. Some are the result of oversight, but many are not. In many cases combustion resulted even though precautions were taken. Houses, garages, shops and cars have been burned to cinders by fires caued by Lipo batteries. The town I live in has almost 100,000 people and about 200 modelers. Over the past several years there have been OVER 10 serious fires JUST IN THIS AREA resulting in significant property damage, and in at least one case, lasting health problems from inhaling Lipo smoke and fumes.

Lipo batteries are dangerous and the slightest error on the part of the user or the slightest malfunction of the battery, cables, charger, connectors etc. can result in serious problems. If you are the type of person that NEVER makes a mistake, then good for you, charge and fly without worry (as many electric modelers do). If not then be very careful how you approach handling, charging and flying with these batteries. You should try to develop standard practices to minimize errors, for instance; will you buy a charger that charges any type pf battery or one that charges only Lipo batteries. As Jester mentioned some fires are started by selecting the wrong battery type on multi chemistry capable chargers.

NEVER EVER leave a Lipo unattended while charging, immediately after charging or immediately after discharging! I personally know an experienced DEVOTED electric modeler who was charging batteries in his garage using a LIPO ONLY charger, he left the garage to answer the phone and returned a few minutes later to a raging inferno. Recently an RCU member reported the destruction of his RV due to a Lipo battery. It seems he was charging while in his RV, the charger FINISHED charging the battery, he then left the RV to go shopping. The Lipo ignited and torched the RV.

A search on this forum will reveal the danger these batteries pose if not treated with the highest respect and care.

BrightGarden you are wise to be very careful with Lipo batteries and to keep them well away from people and things you treasure.

Personally, I prefer glow. Tried electrics, but they just didn't provide the same satisfaction for me and I just can't see myself sitting outside, away from the house watching a Lipo charge.

Last edited by 049flyer; 07-04-2014 at 02:39 PM.