RCU Forums - View Single Post - The end of small glow engines
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 03:56 PM
KnifeEdge51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My start in the RC world began at about 10 years old, when I used my summer grass mowing money to buy a US AirCore .40 Trainer. I had access to a Dave Brown simulator (pretty hot stuff at the time, with it's sheet metal box, polygon graphics, etc), and flew on that things every chance I got. I got the power core of the US AirCore trainer built and fuel proofed, and then my family moved. That model stayed in a box until I sold it a few months back, no more complete than it was when I put it away. Not being old enough to drive, plus the closest model airfield being 40 minutes away, was the demise of that.

At 16, however, I received a GWS Pico Stick kit and an old Futaba 7-channel radio (which never saw more than three channels being used, haha) as a Christmas gift from my parents. It was what I'd asked for that year, and I was tickled pink! I had that plane together within the next few days, did a few taxi tests in the street, and then that Saturday I hit the park. The idea was just to go do a few powered glides to get my CG set, but I started the plane down the slope leading to the retention basin that was our neighborhood park, and the darn thing took off! I was airborne, and nervous as ever, but the years of flying on that Dave Brown simulator paid off. I successfully landed it in one piece, and enjoyed that plane for years. I still have it, though it disrepair. I hope to get it flying again, if possible.

Fast forward to today. I'm older now, and have better transportation abilities (though I have to borrow the wife's car. Hauling build planes on a motorcycle's probably a little hard to do!). Despite getting my start with electric models (and still having quite a few kits and supplies for them), I still find myself highly interested in glow and diesel engines, primarily 2.49cc/.15ci or smaller at this point. I don't see my interest dropping off any time soon, either. Matter of fact, I've recently found a few CL plans on Outerzone that I'd like to build (for models down to my Cox .010!), and I'm waiting on a Cox .09 TD and a PAW80 CL engine in the mail. I enjoy all aspects of the hobby, and feel others should do the same. As previously mentioned, I don't feel that any aspect of the hobby will ever truly disappear. They may become cottage industries or small interest groups, but they'll never truly go away, and that's how it should be. We should be able to honor and appreciate where we've come from in the hobby, while still looking forward to what the future holds.

Last edited by KnifeEdge51; 07-04-2014 at 04:10 PM.