RCU Forums - View Single Post - The end of small glow engines
View Single Post
Old 07-05-2014, 10:55 AM
jeffie8696

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to complicate the entire issue.
I fly electric and nitro. All my electrics are Lipos and I have had little issue with any with the exception of the occasional puffy pack. I use safe charging practices and have never seen a pack burn even after thousands of charges (I even work in a hobby store and we charge them daily)
However I am a "nitro/glow" enthusiast. Cant we all just agree to use the terms Nitro and Glow interchangeably? really guys arguing about it? does it do the hobby any good? Some new guy comes on here looking for answers and you attack him for using a term?
I have over 60 engines in my collection from .020 to 1.5" and I love them, 2 strokes and 4, old and new.
If they stopped making new engines right now I probably wouldn't even be affected BUT I would hate to see it. I think all glow engines are incredible feats of engineering. It isn't just a hot filament causing the fuel to explode, its a catalytic reaction of the platinum in the filament. How cool is that?
And turning up at 15,000 rpm(or more) with ease? Like to see your Minvan do that.

In short the glow engine took the complex problem of the ignition system and solved it in the most simple but elegantly sophisticated way. that impresses me!
A gasoline engine requires a spark plug, coil, computer and timing elements .
A brushless motor requires a computerized ESC .
The glow engine? Needs a 1.5V battery to begin the process then you are off to the races.
I remember as a 10 year old my parents letting me loose with a 1.5V dry cell and a quart of fuel in a parking lot and I don't remember having much trouble getting the little .049 to start and fly the P40 to go round and round till I was dizzy.
Let the flaming begin.