RCU Forums - View Single Post - Is it ok to recharge my battery inside my tank?
Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ausf
Here's my typical setup, no battery door, etc. Snaps closed in front, hinged in rear. Clear battery access and everything else to see how it looks while I change it out. On the Tiger, I just rotate the turret to small pencil marks tell me it's lined up with the tabs and I lift it. No stripping or damage and again, I get a look see for an issues when the battery comes out.

That my friend is one of the sweetest setups I have seen as far as opening. Now to put my 2 cents in worth about the charging....

Ok so let us start with your tank. Let's say you spend $250 on your set up. That is rather cheap, but I shall explain. $250 is about 10 NIMH batteries. Do you really want to chance a problem over a $25 battery? Also, I am paranoid about charging safety. I recommend you find a steel toolbox and get a lipo bag and charge inside the toolbox with the lid open for air. Then you go to WallyWorld and buy yourself a less than $5 fire alarm and slap it right above your charger/battery. Follow the instructions here: www.batteryuniversity.com about charging and charging rates from the battery manufacturer and you will be fine. It is best not to risk it to avoid using the easy access levers (yes all the Torro tanks have them) to open the top hull in less than 5 seconds.
I agree with everyone else in the fact you can just bring two or three batteries and be good for the day. I run a 4000mAh battery and get plenty of runtime, with 2 or 3 batteries you might have the whole day to tank. They charge ports are all there on the Torro tanks, just we (myself and Taigen) will not provide support for internal charging. It is up to you if you want to risk it or not. I do know if there is a problem my lipo bags will always help and give me a few min to throw the toolbox outside.

That is my opinion, but of course it is what it is, an opinion.