RCU Forums - View Single Post - Young Instructors
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2003, 02:48 AM
nascarjoe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Young Instructors

ORIGINAL: Pjtg0707

I don't want to yank your chain( since when does that ever stop me, eh ) , but what does flying ability beyond the minimum have anything to do with teaching ability?

If I was to look for an instructor, I don't give a hoot if you can fly 3d blindfolded while standing on your head, but CAN YOU TEACH? Teaching is an art of knowledge, attitude, manners and maturity. Why would anyone put up with you if all you can demonstrate is one of the 4 qualities? BTW, age has noting to do with teaching ability.

I think Tommy Lasorta once said that the worst players tend to make the best managers.
Gotta agree with you on that. Believe it or not, but I heard of a great swimming coach who couldn't swim. I've been taught (?) by RC instructors who were very good pilots, but apparently didn't have a clue on how to teach. Their biggest problem was a serious lack of communication. They would tell me to make a turn, but would not give an specific details on how to make a turn. At first I was being trained with a buddy-box and the instructor would be so intent on watching the plane that he could'nt see how I was constantly banging the sticks around. I did notice that all solo pilot newbies trained at the club also were constantly jerking the sticks around, even though they could get the plane up and down, most of the time without breaking anything.

After seeing everyone mixing a batter, so to speak, I mistakenly thought that that was the proper way to fly, that is until I met up with my current instructor who doesn't use a buddy-cord. He can monitor finger movement and make instant corrections of my movements at the same time. I just started flying very well this year and got rid of the panic movements my fingers were making. Man, what an excellent teacher.

nascarjoe