RCU Forums - View Single Post - Tiger I painting questions
View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 02:24 PM
rivetcounter

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve, all tanks including Tiger were painted in Dunkelgrau RAL7021 this included the inside of the hatches for Driver, Radio operator, Commander and Loader with the exception on Tiger of the escape hatch which like the rest of the interior was painter Elfenbein RAL1001.
Tigers sent to Tunisia and some units sent to Southern Russia were painted “Tropen” this was a two tome camouflage schema which was two thirds Braun RAL8020 and one third Grau RAL7027, Tigers issued to Großdeutschland, SS-LAH, SS-DR and SS-T were painted in “Tropen”
Starting February 1943 Tigers were painted completely in Dunkelgelb RAL 7028 and in the field camouflage was added using Deckpasten in Olivegrun RAL6003 and Rotbraun RAL8017 depending on theatre and unit depended on weather one shade was added or both in some units there was a combination of some tanks with just one shade of camouflage and others with two shades added.

Your Tiger left the factory in April 1943 and as Dunkelgelb RAL7028 had been introduced which superseded Tropen then A02 must have always been painted Dunkelgelb RAL7028, now examining the picture on page 118 of “Germanys Tiger Tanks D.W. to Tiger I (there are 4 books in the Tiger series from Jentz plus the Panzertracts books) it clearly shows the open loaders hatch and commanders hatch which are both painted in a light colour that cannot be Elfenbein RAL1001 as this was not used on the hatch interiours so must be Dunkelgelb RAL7028 the picture of A02 was taken at the end of August after the battle of Kursk which was in July 1943, were all tanks were painted in the fields with a base coat of RAL7028 and depending on unit RAL6003 and/or added as camouflage, to further back up my claim that A02 was Painted in RAL7028 on Page 111 there is a picture of 250234 leaving the Henschel factory painted in RAL7028.

Ever since WWII people have argued what is the correct shade of Dunkelgelb RAL7028, according to Thomas L Jentz Dunkelgelb RAL7028 nach muster only came in one shade however paint consistency even today is not perfect from batch to batch and factory to factory there would have been inconsistency’s with the shade add to this war shortages and you already have dozens of slightly different shades then depending on what it was thinned with this will add a slight change you can bet any money that when a tank is painted in the field it’s not meticulously cleaned first and is probably painted over dust and mud which will again alter the shade, as for which paint shade is best for your model well this will open a can of worms with more than a few, personally I would go with whatever you feel looks right I have used a number of different shades and been happy with them all my personal favourite and this is just me is 1:1 ratio of Tamiya XF59 and XF60 on their own XF59 is a bit too green and XF60 a bit to brown mixing them is in-between.
Here is a link to my last Tiger build 134 there is also pictures of 211 which I painted before using different shade of Dunkelgelb.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-t...r-i-build.html