RCU Forums - View Single Post - Jagdpanzer with FPV
View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 08:56 PM
cleong

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Some things I discovered while dabbling with FPV (some things you have already addressed):

- FPV setups that ride on the same 2.4ghz wavelength are prone to interference and freezing if there are multiple 2.4ghz transmitters sharing the same bandwidth. 5.8ghz is probably the ticket, but I don't know how many channels are available;
- Ideally, each tank should have two cameras, one for the gunsight and one for the driver. There were times that I get "crossed up" because I'd turned the turret but didn't know what orientation the hull was at. Even a simple MechWarrior-style bar scale on the video feed that lets you know how many degrees you have turned will be useful to keep track of your turret rotation;
- FPV cameras work better outdoors than indoors or dark environments, simply because frame rates slow down and/or video noise graining becomes apparent
- While we're on the subject of wishlists, telemetry would be good. If FPV RC planes could be informed about their altitude, heading, battery voltage, hopefully someone like Clark could produce a complete product that tells you the number of hit points you have left?

As a whole, FPV tank battling is quite different from the IR battling we have come to know. No birds' eye view situational awareness, and the pace of battle is slower and much more cautious. As Brett says, it has the effect of enlarging a battlefield so clubs could do more with less space. The one bad point is that it raises the barriers to entry further in terms of cost. But it could actually be so realistic that tanks could probably ditch the 45 degree defense and use 360 cones with drastically narrowed-down IR emitter tubes to better simulate tank battles.

If I were to construct my own FPV tank, I would be choosing the tank with the biggest interior volume possible, with as little external detailing possible (I wouldn't be able to see it anyway), with an emphasis on camouflage, along with a HD 1080p feed to a clip-on monitor on my transmitter carry-handle. It wouldn't replace my regular RC IR tanks, it would be a foray into a different aspect of RC tanking, but it would take a while for enough people to adopt this before we can see 4 or 6 a side battles. The technology needs to catch up with what we want...