RCU Forums - View Single Post - Should we ban Diesel fuel
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 09:50 AM
luv2flyrc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LGM Graphix
So..... Maybe this is an obvious and/or stupid question but, what is different about the asphalt at the gas station than a runway? We had a diesel truck for many years and the area around the diesel pumps were always slippery from diesel spills but the asphalt was never soft or deteriorating. Since I saw this thread I've been looking at the diesel areas when I go to the gas stations. That said, would it stand to reason that perhaps it's the turbine oil causing the problem more than the fuel itself? Maybe the oil in the diesel is more caustic than in jet A but is the diesel really the issue? Just seems odd that the parking lots around the diesel pumps aren't all crumbling if what you say is true.
Jeremy,

If you google it, there are several studies that I could find showing that diesel breaks down the binding agent in asphalt causing it to crumble. One study I found was Australian, the other I think was a US study but, typically done by Transportation Ministries looking to reduce maintenance costs due to diesel spills.

Of course, there don't seem to be any such studies on Jet A or Kero as they're typically not used in road vehicles. Our experience up at Wingham airport is that, we flew there for years using Jet A or Kero and didn't notice any damage. Now, more of us are using diesel and we're seeing the asphalt problem. Certainly not scientific but, that's the observation.

Mike