RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Four Star .40 Build Thread!!!!!!!!
View Single Post
Old 09-29-2014, 07:10 AM
G-JIMG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Kitsbuilder,

Sorry it's taken a while to respond, I've been travelling on business.

I don't think I still have a soft copy of the amended manual but I'll have a trawl through my files when I get home.

The Wings I built as per plan, just finished them one bay shorter than shown. I used one of the unused ribs as a rough template and cut the wingtip from a sufficiently large length of triangular balsa, the type used for large ailerons. I glued it to the the end of the wing with the wider part nearly flush with the wing's upper surface, then trimmed/sanded to fit. It gives a nice 'tapered down' finish to the wing. When initially cutting the balsa I left it longer at the TE than the rib template, I later sanded it to blend with the Aileron profile thereby providing protection for the Aileron tip and giving the wing a nice 'finished' look. (see original photo).

In the cockpit I extended an existing slot in the fuselage balsa to accept the battery staus indicator and glued a suitably angled block of balsa underneath. This provided enough surface to stick the indicator on (they come with self adhesive pads). I then shaped a block of balsa to blend with the forward curved raised portion of the cockpit and cut a 'slot' in the lower face of it to accept the upper edge of the Indicator where it protruded from the cockpit floor. I then shaped it to give it a sort of cowling look and used lots of balsa seal before giving it a final light sanding and spraying it.

I used the attached picture (suitably sized and printed) and cut it to fit the console face. It also shows where the slot should be to accept the upper edge of the indicator.

My Rx switch is on the left side almost in line with the LE (as per the original picture). The other black dot in the photo, slightly higher and a few inches forward of the switch, is the refuelling dot.

I'm in the process of building another 4 Star 40 but this time I'm fibre glassing and spray painting the whole thing. Need to hone the skills before I build my Corsair!

Let me know how your build goes, and feel free to ask any questions.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Console.jpg
Views:	1986
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	2035974