RCU Forums - View Single Post - UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation
Old 10-13-2014, 11:27 AM
Pull Up Now!
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I never thought that methanol has a higher flame speed than gasoline. I've always thought it actually was slower. And gasoline has more BTU content (heat) per unit volume than methanol. One of the reasons race cars use it is because it's safer in an accident. I could be wrong, as I'm not an expert (remember experts said Obamacare would save us all $2500 per year on our premiums), but there's a simple reason you get more power out of a methanol based engine. It's because you run it richer. And you run it richer because methanol carries more of it's own oxygen chemically than gasoline, so you can. So even though gasoline carries more energy, you have to mix it with so much air to achieve proper fuel/air ratio that the mixture far leans out (less gas=fewer BTU's) compared with methanol. That's why your car, running farm-welfare fuel, gets crummier mileage. So, in a given unit amount of time, methanol is processing more BTU's per minute than gasoline, thus more "perceived" power. Power always has a time component. For example, HPower=torque x rpm/5252 (a constant). The rpm has MINUTE in it, thus the time component. So, measuring the power produced by gasoline must also have a time component.