RCU Forums - View Single Post - Fear mongering? AMA members with airman certificates?
Old 10-22-2014, 03:12 PM
JoeEagle
My Feedback: (26)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank. I just copied and pasted from the interpretation. Based on this document and the reference to 400 feet don't you think the FAA is stipulating a 400 foot limit which applies o everywhere?? And for anyone else reading I am not trying to be controversial just trying to understand people's different POV.

As as for the TAM/BVM F18v I bought it wit every intention of flying it but got talked out of it by people I
trust. Sold it to a dude in Canada. He was going to put a big motor in it and make other changes.
I guess we would have tried it at KJ or Mississippi AB

Discussion of the Interpretation
I. Background of FAA Oversight of Model Aircraft Operations
Historically, the FAA has considered model aircraft to be aircraft that fall within the
statutory and regulatory definitions of an aircraft, as they are contrivances or devices thatare “invented, used, or designed to navigate, or fly in, the air.” See 49 USC 40102 and 14CFR 1.1. As aircraft, these devices generally are subject to FAA oversight andenforcement. However, consistent with FAA’s enforcement philosophy, FAA’soversight of model aircraft has been guided by the risk that these operations present. TheFAA first recognized in 1981 that “model aircraft can at times pose a hazard to full-scaleaircraft in flight and to persons and property on the surface,” and recommended a set ofvoluntary operating standards for model aircraft operators to follow to mitigate thesesafety risks. See Advisory Circular 91-57, Model Aircraft Operating Standards (June 9,1981). These operating standards included restricting operations over populated areas,limiting use of the devices around spectators until after the devices had been flight testedand proven airworthy; restricting operations to 400 feet above the surface; requiring thatthe devices give right of way to, and avoid flying near manned aircraft, and usingobservers to assist in operations.
These guidelines were further clarified in 2007, when the FAA issued a policystatement regarding unmanned aircraft systems (UAS) operations in the NAS. See 72Fed. Reg. 6689 (Feb. 13, 2007). In this policy statement, the FAA also recognized thatUAS fall within the statutory and regulatory definition of “aircraft” as they are devicesthat are “used or [are] intended to be used for flight in the air with no onboard pilot.” Id.;see also 49 U.S.C. 40102; 14 CFR 1.1. The FAA noted that they can be “as simple as a

remotely controlled model aircraft used for recreational purposes or as complex assurveillance aircraft flying over hostile areas in warfare.” The FAA then stated itscurrent policy regarding UAS based on the following three categories: (1) UAS used aspublic aircraft; (2) UAS used as civil aircraft; and (3) UAS used as model aircraft.
With respect to UAS used as model aircraft, the FAA reiterated the operatingguidelines in AC 91-57, and further noted that to qualify as a model aircraft, the aircraftwould need to be operated purely for recreational or hobby purposes, and within thevisual line of sight of the operator. The policy statement also clarified that AC 91-57applied only to modelers and “specifically excludes its use by persons or companies forbusiness purposes.” 72 FR at 6690.