RCU Forums - View Single Post - Great Lakes Trainer plans by Norm Rosenstock
Old 10-25-2014, 08:29 AM
jrpav1
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tatolazo
Hi: O have read in this forum that ikon nw kits are taking a lot of time to be delivered, months and even years, just check.!

I saw this bi plane built from a small kit for a .15 engine and was very acrobatic and heasy to handle. I was thinking of building one bigger, for a .91 FS or so.

Tato.
Norm drew two plans for the Great Lakes: a 1/4-scale (80" span) and a 1/5-scale (64" span). The big one used a "Quadra" which was a very popular gas engine at the time he did the design. The smaller one is for .60-.90 2C / .90 - 1.2 4C. I have both sets of plans. I purchased them from Norm quite a few years ago. It would be nice to hear that he's still around because I finally have some time to build. I'm starting on the "little" one this winter.

The plans appear to be very good. They have enough information (templates, wood requirements, etc.) to build from scratch. This is not always the case when you try to build form "kit" plans.

BTW - The RCM plans look good too, especially since someone offers a laser-cut parts pack. There are a lot of ribs in those wings! The only problem is that it appears to be the "special" (radial engine) version only. I think the inline version (2T-1A and 2T-1E) are the most nostalgic so that's what I'm going to build first. Then maybe a small "special". Norm's plans show both versions so you have a choice.

JRP

Last edited by jrpav1; 10-25-2014 at 08:34 AM.