RCU Forums - View Single Post - Pattern Participation
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2014, 10:54 AM
OhD

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Great discussion. I'd like to thank all that contributed. We got a little bit of everything. Before trying to sum it up I'd like to toss out some more thoughts.

The more I think about it the more I think we have the wrong definition of what pattern flying is. Somehow we've come to the point where you need to go to contests to be considered a pattern pilot. I have always believed that everyone who flies RC is a pattern pilot. They want to make nice takeoffs and landings and in between almost everyone tries to make a loop or a roll. The Jet guys, the warbird guys, even the guys who fly foamies are flying some kind of a "pattern" in the sky. Some are doing recognizable maneuvers and some are doing maneuvers that don't have names (that's an inside joke). Many of these folks have other airplanes capable of doing what we call precision maneuvers. We can tell from the numbers that many more people would like to go to a fun fly or rally or whatever you want to call it and would probably never want to go to a contest. Like someone said, being prepared for a contest is work.

So what is the point of getting more folks exposed to pattern flying? I believe there is strength in numbers. In the old days, there were many people interested in pattern and would contribute in many ways. Some promoted and ran contests, some judged, some served as mechanics and callers. Many came and looked at the airplanes, asked questions and watched some flying. Many then said, "I can do that" , and got in the game. It seems to me it is like any other activity. Many folks have sports cars but very few do time trials or competitive rallies. Most of them buy magazines and may go to a car show, but by there large numbers the whole enterprise benefits. More people spending more money and with more ideas on how to improve everything.

And guess what? The more folks that are exposed in any way, the more that will move on to the contest scene and as a result there will be more top notch pilots.

The bottom line is, if you want a lot of great athletes or musicians, or RC pilots, etc., you need to start with a system that makes equipment, training, coaching, etc., available as well as a large pool of motivated participants. It will always be difficult to get a pilot, even though he likes what he sees in pattern, to jump into a modern day contest so the fly-in might be a way to achieve what we are after.

Jim O