RCU Forums - View Single Post - UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation
Old 11-06-2014, 06:46 PM
CH Ignitions
My Feedback: (11)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Gentleman,
I read the last couple pages in this thread and here I am to answer any questions.

I have a real battle on the final design. It is close to a Year now and I still do not know.
My big issue was the Boxes. As Dave got a real crud and NON CH standard....but have to start somewhere.
I got a good point...is to bulky...agree and noted. I found a company in California that will be able to make any size I need . It will be close to CH Aluminum folded boxes that Bill Carpenter made for the last 30+ Years.
Next year will be the 35th Year anniversary . With this in mind I will bring up a new and hope better website, the 5 7 and 9 CDI for Radial engines.
Evolution and MVVS engines direct replacement, some of the 3W with 2 magnets and 4 wire sensors that have 35 and 55 degree spacing. Replacements for the ROTO engines 35FS 85 and hope 170 FS, MOKI 150 and 180. Working on the
Moki 215 /400 . Also twin ignitions for the "v" engines with uneven fire or Inline. Also have CDI for the 4 cylinders OS320 and possible for IL300.
Will be a change on the current design, the box will be a little bit bigger to allow better Hi Voltage insulation, Had couple instances where insulation leak to ground.

That will be for next year...this year coming back to David's Engine.

Evo 7-77 or any of the radials that intake sucks from the crank case ....there is no good "pulse" that will be able to work the regular carburetor pump side.
I tried so many carbs ....found couple that will work but soon you will move the tank will die.
So the best option remained the original carb.
I had a "special encounter " with a 7-77 version that was marked PETROL and made by UMS and the carb looked like the one on GLOW version.
Was a join force task to develop a CDI for that. The magnets were mounted inside on the "cam rings" and moving 1/2 crank speed...a real 4 stroke.
When I map the magnets for software logic I did not liked the fact that they where inconsistent the angle in between was not equal and had more than 5 degree.
After seen that we decided to go on the 1:1 and use crank shaft and waste spark.
The first unit is running for a year now and that is in Norway ( Alfas)
Timing: it is using 8 Magnets.
7 are South and 1 North.
The North is placed in between cyl 7 and 1. After cyl #7 fire the north trigger another input and tells the CPU that OK I made a full rotation , I fire all and I am at this RPM and need to put X advance.....and this goes on and on.
The other option I had was to use 7 magnets 6S and 1 N ....but I did not wanted to make the N a 7 fire, reset, do the math etc....Could be done in software ...but I like to relay more on hardware .
I hope this will answer that question...and as you see I am not afraid to ...'' Let the cat out" If some one else comes with better logic...will be for the good of the hobby.
For those that wonders, Bill carpenter is still around and he is doing good as age and all others allow it.
Another comment was that is not cheap.

We have:
- 7 cyl CDI that works from 6v to 12v. 6 will be good if gasoline. 7.4v will be my recommendation to run on Gas and start for Glow.
- 7 1/4-32 Spark plugs
- NEW DESIGN PROP DRIVE that locks on to the shaft.
- Magnet ring
- Sensor Ring
- Timing kit.

On the PCB is Manually solder, all parts are manually assembled, and it takes me 3.5HR to make one.

I am open to price suggestions from you guys, what will be a fair price for everyone....for you to have and for me also to be able to get Gerber formula to my 4MO Kevin Oliver baby boy.
PLEASE, PM me or email at [email protected] , do not want the reply here to take the meaning of this thread.

Thank you all for supporting CH Ignitions over the years.

Adrian