RCU Forums - View Single Post - UMS Evolution Radial Care and Operation
Old 11-08-2014, 09:10 PM
chorner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmmm interesting. I know you can't rely on the pitch between manufacturers which makes things a little tougher. I'm not sure I have the time or funds to go through 100 props right now either! The most I'll go through testing is 3-4 on an engine before settling on one.

Seems to be a delicate balance of prop size/pitch in comparison to engine performance and plane weight. The 22/10 3 blade actually seems like a good option running it through the calculator - should give approx. 27lbs of thrust on the ground with ~52mph theoretical top speed; about what I was looking for. Hangar 9 recommends the 23x10 Mejzlik carbon prop in the manual with the Evo 7-77. I think I'll try out the Xoar 22x10 3 blade.

You've prompted me to read more about prop efficiency as well. Funny enough, on my smaller P-51 warbird (Top Flite 66" wingspan P-51D) I'm running a Xoar 16x6 prop on an O.S FS 120 III pumped, and I found it to be a much better match than the 15x8 I was originally using. I found the 15x8 reached it's maximum performance between half and 3/4 throttle... anything from maybe 3/4 throttle and higher just seemed to "stall" the prop and not move the plane any faster. The 16x6 is much better overall for acceleration and seemingly top speed as well. Couldn't figure that one out... it seems the 15x8 should be better based on the P/D ratio? Though I figured the drag of the airframe required more thrust to reach higher speed in this case. I would assume the Corsair has less drag than the P-51D models with the fake air intake creating drag...

Last edited by chorner; 11-08-2014 at 09:23 PM.