RCU Forums - View Single Post - 3D printing a turbine engine
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2014, 12:56 PM
toolmaker7341

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgwright
Mark

Like you I hoped that this would provide a cheap method of rapid development using solid models. I draw parts in Solidworks and it is simple to generate a stl file that these processes can use. The cost is just crazy. Recently one firm I asked for a quote for a mild steel part that was 50mm X50mm in a complicated shape with splines and 2 helixes cut into it. One firm quoted a minimum cost of £1,000 for one part. Another quoted £500 and after moaning to them about unrealistic pricing I had to spend 2 days in my workshop using my lathe and CNC mill making the part. It seemed to me that a reasonable cost would be £50-100 by sintering. For companies like GE and BAE systems they do not have to make items to a low cost base like small engineering businesses.

I guess the capital cost for the equipment needed is very high and hence the high pricing. Also the metal powder used is expensive.

John
John you need to reread what you wrote. Let see your 16 hrs. @ $100/ hr (normal CNC hourly rate) = $1600 or = 1000 Pounds Sterling so what is wrong with their pricing? OR even worse 16 hrs. @ $50/ hr (normal bench work rate deburring drilling taping) = $800 or 500 pounds I would go broke machining for $50/ hr