RCU Forums - View Single Post - Sig Spacewalker 1/3 scale (by rookie)
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2014, 07:40 AM
Melchizedek

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Leroy for your suggestions. You always leave thoughtful posts, I so much appreciate you for that my friend

I probably will go with the ball link on the throttle arm. The swing puts just a smidge of a bind in the control arm. The ball link will eliminate that for sure.
Also will take your suggestion on making sure connector is bullet proof. Yesterdays shop time was focused on making the geometry correct and finding potential problems like the choke arm. Then cementing the tubes in place. The final tweaks will come at up fit after primer/paint.

It is interesting the school of thought on engine control linkages. Like I stated in the above post I intended on steel cable. This is what I am familiar with. But Some believe (if I am reiterating it correctly) that steel cable introduces the potential for the electronic static from the ignition/spark to get into the electronics and cause problems. I have no actual experience with this but felt it safe to avoid it (this is my first gasser) Having just tried the Golden Rod. I like it. It slides effortlessly. With the short throw, I don't anticipate any slop.

The other school of thought was the steel verses plastic clevises. The guys in my club don't like the steel cause they believe it is more prone to vibration issues. So they say plastic. Most of these guys are flying 60 size glow mostly. This is why I opted for the plastic. The Golden rod came with metal clevises.
The plastic ones in the above pics come with the fuel line snippets as a keeper so that the clevis does not separate. Also the metal clevises have keepers that are tiny and hard to handle and easy to loose (Balloonia) . I think that with the light duty of throttle/ choke the plastic will never fail and that with the rubber keepers will not vibrate apart or loose. Could be wrong on this though.

In any event, I will be going with the ball link on the throttle and keeping the plastic for the other 3 clevises.
One thing with having to remove the cockpit module to assemble and disassemble the plane. I will see regularly at least the servo side of the clevises.
And will make sure the carb side is bullet proof. Hopefully no missiles will be fired. Hard to make things missile proof .

Kevin

Last edited by Melchizedek; 11-28-2014 at 07:42 AM.