RCU Forums - View Single Post - New Evolution 10cc gas engine
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 01:13 PM
kenmeade

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JoeyCoates
I have a question for you guys, are you still running a 20:1 mix in your 10gx's? I know Pete had responded quite a while back that they may relax the oil requirements in the engine due to the late addition of a roller bearing in the big end of the con-rod (which I believe was one of the main reasons for so much oil to begin with as compared to most other gas engines), but I have looked at the manual online and it still lists 20:1. I have other gas engines and it would be much easier to have one can of 32:1 to use for all of them so I was just seeing if any of you were using such a mixture. I really do not think it needs so much oil, if it still had a plain bearing in the big end then maybe, but even being of ABC construction 20:1 just seems pretty excessive.
Yes, on a NOS 2 years old maybe with a "Blended" Poulan 2 stroke oil and after 1 gallon of 20/1 the con rod slop was bad so sent it in. They replaced the "cyl/piston set" free but I haven't opened it to verify. So - maybe - 20/1 isn't enough oil? Or the wrong oil? Maybe they updated it by putting in rollers at the same time?

RE oil, in the early 40's we ran 3/1, 70 SAE motorcycle oil. It worked. I did a "Whoop's!" and wondered when I saw the 20/1 knowing the rod had to have plain bronze.
Ken