RCU Forums - View Single Post - mono-coat
Thread: mono-coat
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 04:31 PM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I once had a club member that bought a cheap giant scale ARF, a Beaver. It had some mystery covering on it that had all the lines and rivets printed on it. In all my years building planes I have never seen anything with that many bubbles/wrinkles in it. The covering looked like it was some type of shelf paper and the more we tried to remove the bubbles the worse it got. That would have been a nice looking plane but it was so ugly the fellow wouldn't even bring it to our big IMAA fly in.If the pin holes work then good deal, just a lot of work/time needed if it's really bad. You can try poking the holes in the bubbles then try using a heat gun instead of the iron. Sometimes it is faster and sometimes it just makes more gas bubbles.
I just finished an Up-Roar and I used Ultra on the ailerons and this is the first time I wasn't able to remove all the wrinkles. I used the Hobby King covering, Chinacotefor the main covering and it came out tight as a drum with just the iron. The blue Ultra also came out fine, I even tried drilling 1/16 holes in each bay of the ailerons and still couldn't remove the wrinkles, I gave up and decided to just live with it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2014_1216canopy0006.JPG
Views:	100
Size:	1.79 MB
ID:	2060382