RCU Forums - View Single Post - Hand Propping a Gasser
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Cyberwolf
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well Guys I am going to beat a dead horse to death again I hope for the last time. What av8tor1977 said was right on the money as well as so many in here.
The bottom line is to have the engine ready to run, by checking the timing before hand with a degree wheel, setting the needles on the carb to a sensible setting such as 1-1/2 on both for a first time start.Making sure the Spark Plug is good plus the Ign unit.
Rocking the prop until gas is in the line,With (ign off) optional I will give it a flip or three then add some fire and go for it. I feel a good glove is a great way to keep all the digits in one place for reattachment later on. J/K *L* A good glove will have steel braces going down the back of each finger, yep you guessed it there expensive so most resort to a pair of Latex rubber gloves or maybe really spend the bucks and go with a set of Jerseys, then wonder what went flying by there heads the first flip, when they find out later on the engine was set at about 50 degrees BTDC and had 2-3 ounces of gas in the bottom of the cylinder.
I have yet to have to have a ball bat to beat one into submission to get it to start or run. An engine is really a brave little thing and don't much care what you threaten it with.
Iv'e also never had to use a starter from a 454 to spin it fast enough so the crankshaft can gain revs on the spark and give it more spark per turn *LOL*

Anyway it is how well the engine is pre tuned and primed that will determine how easy it will start providing a person doesn't have an problem child engine to start with. And just a few simple steps can make an engine enjoyable or a PITA.
Sorry for the rant Blames it on the Cat.