RCU Forums - View Single Post - Gee Bee R3 30cc
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2015, 06:17 PM
hornetnz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a busy time at work lately, so hadn't had a chance to finish this bird. Finally nearing the end of the wheelpants/landing gear issue. Have both left and right access hatches cut, former bent 'axle' removed and ply reinforcement cage to secure the wire in position. I used string for the flying wires to see where I needed to cut slots in the pant for the wire to attach to my wood block inside. Am putting DuBro axles on the end and got 3.5" wheels to give just a little more clearance on grass. Initially got the DuBro wheels, but they were too fat since they need to clear the wood & screws. Found Dave Brown 3.5" wheels are less than an inch thick. Hopefully they will hold up ok.

Also was very unsatisfied with the gap between the leading edge and wheelpant. The shape of the whole end of the pant just doesnt match well the curve of the wing no matter where it's positioned forward/backward. I decided to put a filler piece in the forward portion and sand it to shape, which was easier said than done! At least its closer now and fills the forward hole. I'll coat it with thinned epoxy or maybe a little fiberglass and paint to match.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-07 23.50.25.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	2.82 MB
ID:	2062362   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-01-07 22.29.12.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	2062363